Diabetes is a growing global epidemic. In 2016, some 423.4M people are expected to suffer from this metabolic disease. This amounts to 8.5% of the entire global adult population, which is expected to reach 642M by 2040. Global annual diabetes-related health expenditure is expected to amount to US$678B, which is estimated to reach US$800.8B. Currently, 12% of today’s healthcare expenditure can be related to the treatment of people with diabetes, and 34% of today’s global spending on diabetes can be addressed by diabetes app services and products.
Diabetes apps promise to support the treatment and lifestyle changes of people with diabetes by offering:
- Tracking (e.g. glucose readings and activities).
- Calculation of insulin dosage.
- Reminders (e.g. for medication).
- Connection of patients with coaches, doctors and each other.
- Education for patients about the disease.
- Recommendations based on pattern recognition for enabling behavior change.
- General quality of life improvement.
Since the previous edition of this report in 2014, both the supply and demand for diabetes app service solutions grew in-line with predictions, and several interesting changes have materialized. New publishers have emerged with new market strategies, and diabetes app services and products have diversified to include new external app services, and new add-on devices. More traditional health service providers are beginning to see the potential of diabetes apps.
The report examines in detail the 2008-2016 period, and provides insight into what to expect for 2016-2021. The report includes:
- An in-depth look at the global, and country-specific target group sizes and addressable costs.
- 2008-2016 diabetes app market analysis, including the growth of downloads, apps, publishers, the nine diabetes app categories, the impact of app management (updates) on app performance and the proof of efficacy through clinical trials.
- An analysis of the top ten largest, country specific addressable target groups for top performing diabetes apps.
- Evolving strategies of diabetes app publishers including four main changes to service offerings over the last 2-3 years, and four principle app strategies.
- Top 10 publisher analysis of the app portfolios, service offerings, and market strategies.
- 2016-2021 outlook into addressable target groups, active users, market performance in terms of app numbers and downloads, and revenue forecast.
This is what others have said about the diabetes app market reports of r2g.
“The Diabetes App Market Report 2016 takes a comprehensive and conservative look into the diabetes app world. It has given me great insight as to the changing dynamic of the diabetes mobile health landscape and is a great resource for anybody with an interest in diabetes app publishing.” Jeff Dachis CEO, Founder One Drop
Petra Wilson former President of the IDF “The Diabetes App Market Report by research2guidance is comprehensive and far reaching. It allows the reader to get a real feel for the state of the Diabetes App Market and provides some excellent strategic guidance. It is a really valuable piece of market intelligence about the Diabetes mHealth market, in fact, the best I have read on this specific issue to date.”
1. Scope of the report
2. Management summary
3. Addressable target groups and markets for diabetes apps
3.1 The global addressable target group size
3.2 The addressable market size
3.3 The impact diabetes apps have on patient outcome and cost reduction
4. Status of the diabetes app market
4.1 The growth of diabetes app offerings and the impact of updates on downloads
4.2 The popularity of the nine diabetes app category types
4.3 The current pricing ranges of diabetes app service offerings
4.4 Diabetes app publisher growth (2008-2016)
4.5 The development of download trends in the diabetes app market (2008-2016)
5. Download performance of top listed diabetes apps per country in 2016
5.10 South Korea
6. Evolving strategies of diabetes app publishers
6.1 The four main changes to diabetes app service offerings over the last 2-3 years
6.2 The four principle app strategies of diabetes app publishers
7. Competitive landscape of diabetes app publishers
7.1 The top 10 market share changes
7.2 Diabetes app publisher market share 2016
8. Top 10 diabetes app solutions to watch out for in the future
8.1 Abbott with FreeStyle Libre & LibreLink – cutting edge wearable sensor
8.1.1 App ecosystem overview
8.1.2 App portfolio performance
8.1.3 Perceived market strategy
8.2 Dexcom with G5 mobile ecosystem – ahead of competitors with device add-on apps
8.2.1 App ecosystem overview
8.2.2 App portfolio performance
8.2.3 Perceived market strategy
8.3 H2 Inc. with Health2Sync – high growth from within the Asian market
8.3.1 App ecosystem overview
8.3.2 App portfolio performance
8.3.3 Perceived market strategy
8.4 Informed Data Systems Inc. with One Drop for Diabetes Management – a stylish lifestyle solution for people with diabetes
8.4.1 App ecosystem overview
8.4.2 App portfolio performance
8.4.3 Perceived market strategy
8.5 mySugr GmbH with mySugr Logbook – promoting positivity amongst people with diabetes
8.5.1 App ecosystem overview
8.5.2 App portfolio performance
8.5.3 Perceived market strategy
8.6 Livongo with Livongo for Diabetes – a coaching service for people with diabetes
8.6.1 App ecosystem overview
8.6.2 App portfolio performance
8.6.3 Perceived market strategy
8.7 LifeScan Inc. with OneTouch Reveal
8.7.1 App ecosystem overview
8.7.2 App portfolio performance
8.7.3 Perceived market strategy
8.8 Medtronic with MiniMed Connect and Sugar I.Q. – healthcare industry giant with its own agenda
8.8.1 Early app ecosystem overview
8.8.2 Late app ecosystem overview
8.8.3 App portfolio performance
8.8.4 Perceived market strategy
8.9 Glooko with Glooko – clinical data platform
8.9.1 App ecosystem overview
8.9.2 App portfolio performance
8.9.3 Glooko’s perceived strategy
8.10 MedHelp, Inc. with Sugar Sense – a health & fitness platform
8.10.1 App ecosystem overview
8.10.2 App portfolio performance
8.10.3 Perceived market strategy
9. Outlook: The next five years to 2021
9.1 The global addressable target group size & active user forecast (2016-2021)
9.2 The global number of diabetes apps and downloads forecast (2016-2021)
10. Global market revenue forecast (2016-2021
11.1 Clinical trials for diabetes apps
11.2 Addressable target group and market size of 50 countries
11.3 About research2guidance
11.4 List of figures and tables
11.4.1 List of figures
11.4.2 List of tables