In total we had 231 participating companies ranging from start-up mHealth specialists to traditional healthcare market players.
The smartphone hype has brought some exciting changes to the traditional mobile health industry. The survey reveals that the impact the new smartphone app market has on mHealth is significant. Some of the results of the survey are:
• Nearly 80% of respondents see diabetes as the therapeutic area with the highest business potential
• Almost 70% of survey participants agree that app developers and agencies will be the main players in the market
• Smartphone penetration is seen as the main driver for mHealth by 63% of respondents
• Lack of standardization (50%), regulation (49%) and market transparency (49%) are the main barriers facing mHealth
• Doctors and hospitals are seen as the best distribution channel for mHealth apps by 2015
• Android and iOS will be preferred mobile platforms for mHealth solutions
Some of the findings have been used in our newly released “Global mHealth Market Report 2010-2015”.