Diabetes has become a global epidemic with significant impact on society and the economy. In 2013 around 382M people around the world were estimated to suffer from diabetes. Mobile applications promise to play an invaluable role in assisting people who suffer from diabetes to empower them to better manage their condition and as a consequence reduce health care costs. Mobile apps can aid in the daily management of diabetes by supporting behaviour changes, facilitating communication and easing the hassle of keeping track of all relevant parameters that have an influence on the disease.
Currently there are more than 1.100 iOS and Android apps listed on the Apple App Store and Google Play that are specifically designed for diabetics and healthcare professionals to treat diabetics.
The report examines in detail the initial years of the app market (2008-2013) and provides an outlook of the next phase (2014-2018).
The report includes:
– Analysis and categorization of 1.100 diabetes apps
– Description of 6 best practice elements that constitutes a successful diabetes app
– Detailed market analysis of the last 5 years (2008-2013) including size of the addressable market, downloads, business model and platform market share, app and in-app-purchase price development, market revenue total and by revenue sources
– Profiles of top 14 diabetes app publishers that represent 65% of market share including diabetes app portfolio description and its performance
– Top 10 country profiles that represent the biggest local markets for diabetes apps including cumulated market downloads and active users per platform
– Analysis of available clinical trials that investigate the impact of mobile apps on the diabetes care
– Interpretation of regulatory guidelines from the FDA on diabetes apps
– Description of the main factors that will influence the diabetes app market in the next five years
– Detailed market forecast including downloads, revenues, user penetration in target group, app related sensor shipment and service user numbers